Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Magical?

Just back from my Book Club evening, where the book we had read and were discussing was The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.
What's great about being part of this little club is the push to read genres that you perhaps would not perhaps ordinarily indulge in. For me, The Night Circus falls into this category.  But really, it wasn't my cup of tea.
It was extremely strong in terms of imagery - very rich, vibrant and detailed. But great descriptions do not necessarily make for a compelling plot. I found the storyline confusing, exacerbated by the muddled timeline. It was all a bit ethereal for a girl who prefers her escapism to be based in possible reality. For me the world of the Night Circus was too fanciful, too unbelievable and just a bit silly.

But what I did enjoy was delving into the pros and cons of the book with my book club friends, new and old. That was the best part for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment