Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Decidedly Different


Anyone else like me never heard of a kiwano before?
Touted as a cross between a banana and a lemon, it certainly bears no physical resemblance, does it? Not exactly enticing one to dig in (Those volcanic looking protrusions (the ones not broken off) are actually sharp)
I tried to imagine what it would look like inside before I cut it, and was surprised at what I saw. I actually did not want to try it once all was revealed. A green glutinous ooze settled on the chopping board, looking a bit like aloe vera gel or that cyber clean stuff you clean your electronic items with. Not an appetising prospect.
But I worked up the courage to try it and... was underwhelmed. All a bit bland really, considering the flashy packaging that it comes in promises so much more.
Possibly the closest taste comparison I could make was with a banana passionfruit - a fruit that was common in my childhood (having a grandmother that grew all things weird and wonderful), but one I have not seen once in the past 20+ years - despite my research showing it is a pest plant in NZ!
So I've wrapped the kiwano up in gladwrap and stuck it in the fridge. Hate to say it, but it will probably be an experiment that I will just turf out (Sorry Mum, I know how you hate waste)

No comments:

Post a Comment